Wellness is becoming more aware of the choices you make for a balanced life. Wellness is the pursuit of continued growth and balance in the seven dimensions of wellness. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Today we dive into Environmental Wellness. Environmental Wellness is creating or finding spaces where you live, work, and study that help you feel motivated to reach your goals. Environmental wellness refers to your sense of safety, comfort, and connection with your physical surroundings. Environmental wellness can be enhanced by living more in harmony with the planet and your community.
Environmental Wellness is
- Conserving energy (shutting off unused lights)
- Recycling paper, cans, and glass as much as possible
- Enjoying and appreciating time outside in natural settings
- Not polluting the air, water, or earth
- Being respectful, inclusive, kind, and supportive to others.
- Being aware of risks in your surroundings.
- Being aware of the impact of your decisions.
- Taking personal responsibility for your actions.
Strategies to Enhance Your Environmental Wellness
Be cautious about your security when drinking and out with friends:
- Be aware of who is around you and leave with the same people you came with
- Buy your drinks and keep your drink in sight at all times
- Keep condoms and other contraception with you when you go out
- Get tested every 6 to 9 months if you have multiple partners or even in a relationship
- Always use the buddy system
- Make sure your phone is charged before going out
Reduce your allergies:
- Avoid outdoor allergens whenever possible. If pollen counts are high, stay inside with the windows closed and use the air conditioning.
- Avoid bringing pollen indoors. If you go outside, wash your hair and clothing when you come inside. Pets can also bring in pollen, so clean them too.
- Reduce indoor allergens. Keep humidity levels low in the home to keep dust mites and mold under control.
- Avoid upholstered furniture and carpets because they harbor allergens.
- Wash your bedding in hot water once a week.
- Vacuum once a week
Stay safe during hot weather:
- Beat the sun and heat with an early morning or evening activity.
- Use a sunscreen that blocks both UVA and UVB with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15, preferably 30, and reapply frequently.
- Use sunglasses that block both UVA and UVB.
- Try to stay in the shade when outdoors during peak sunlight.
- Go to an air-conditioned gym, do water workouts, or use a fitness video at home.
- Drink plenty of water before, during, and after exercise.
Environmental Wellness Apps:
- Fill it Forward (iTunes / GooglePlay) – Use this app to track your environmental footprint, contribute to charitable projects, and join community groups.
- JouleBug – organizes sustainability tips into Actions that you can put into JouleBug to make your everyday habits more sustainable.
- Oroeco – This app automatically calculates your carbon footprint to track your climate impact.
- Recycle Coach – Helps you reduce contamination through reminders, material search, and drop-off information.
The core principle of environmental wellness is respect—respect for all nature and all species living in it. It does not mandate that you join a movement or organization, but it does encourage you to practice habits that promote a healthy environment. When you become environmentally aware, you will be able to realize how your daily habits affect the environment. Improving this dimension of wellness is simple and results in a more balanced lifestyle.
Check on with yourself:
- Is your room a place that you feel comfortable, safe, and at ease in?
- Do you have mementos of things that are important to you?
- Do you find time to explore nature?
- How often do you clean and sanitize your space?
- Does my tribe support my health and wellness?
- Is my environment truly my own?
- Am I living in a dark environment?
- Am I in harmony with the earth?
- Which local community organization supports the earth?
Check back later this week for another post! I have a lot of exciting things coming up!
Peace and Love